Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Proper Interview w/ The PromoSquad -- Two Tunes Tuesday




PROPER


MP: As an artist you call yourself "Proper". What exactly does that mean and why did you choose that name?

P: I wanted a name that really stood out, something very unique, apart from other artists.  Also i have always been a business man first before an artist and the term Proper really substitutes in very well.  I use to play football and the older guys nick named me P-loot haha i never understood that but i took the initial P and formed Proper.  The integrity of my work really translates very well when the name Proper is utilized.  Plus i spoke with a few women they all questioned, "are you always this Proper? Haha.

~~~~~

MP: What is your real name?

P: My real name is Papayaw Konadu Bediako

~~~~~

MP: What is the origin of your name?

P: Ghana, West Africa.  Very different from the States.

~~~~~

MP: Are you originally from the states or is Ghana the place you like to refer to as home?

P: I am originally from Ghana, West Africa.  Thats my first home always.

~~~~~

MP: How long have you been pursuing music?

P: OOO man its crazy i put everything on my life on this one just because i know people may not believe me.  I had 3 of the same dreams 3 nights in a row, the 1st being of my favorite artist telling me to pursue music.  The 2nd being from another artist telling me to pursue music and that many will benefit from this.  Finally my deceased father appeared in my 3rd dream, i knew i really had to pay attention.  Music has always been a passion of mine, i really like the business side of it.  Starting from the ground up and building your way up.  Eventually i want to be behind the closed doors and watch other hungry artists chase their dreams.  

~~~~~

MP: What inspired you to make this decision?

P: Honestly my deceased father really inspired me to go for it.  Though people may not understand the complexity of it i don't expect them to.  I know what i have to do and i am working towards it now.

~~~~~

MP: Do you write your own lyrics?

P: Yes i write the majority of my music. Once in a while i may collaborate with my team (KMG) to formulate ideas or other artists to gain diversity.

~~~~~

MP: Do you sometimes find it difficult to come up with new topics to write about?

P: Constantly!!!!!!! most of my lyrics make people wonder whats going on in my head.  It's also difficult because i try to come up with bars/lyrics others don't have.  It's crazy because the first few bars i wrote actually ended up in fabolous's (breathe) i wrote " they shook up and hooked up to respirators"  Lol and i had to do away with those after hearing breathe.... I knew people would be like oooo man he stole that from fab.

~~~~~

MP: What are your goals as an artist in music?

P: Honestly i just want people to hear my music and say wow we can really relate to that.  Its crazy because my team and i have actually been approached by a few labels but negotiations fell through.  But i want to my Kosent Music Group brand that i started with a couple of my guys to really find a good niche.

~~~~~

MP: Once you have completed your goals, what will you do then?

P: I really want to look into real estate expansion and also building a foundation to help less privileged people than myself.  I also want to look into signing my own artist's, people who know how to create unique sounds. 

~~~~~

MP: As a striving artist do you ever find yourself wanting to give up? If so, how do you cope?

P: It's crazy but giving up is the easiest and at the same time hardest thing to do.  At one step you give up and that "what if" game beats on your conscience and you don't give up, well lets just say it takes a toll on you.  You make great music and people will not respond to you just because you are not in the level of a Kanye WestLloyd BanksJay-Z and other artists who are already signed.  I can write one bar spit it and people will not quote me, but on the other hand Kanye can write the same exact bar and people will be quoting it from Europe to Africa back to US.  I think other artists know exactly what am talking about.  I just remember my fathers dream thats the only way i cope with it.

~~~~~ 

MP: Where do you see yourself in five years?

P: Signing checks for Kosent Music Group affiliates hahaa but in all honestly i don't know i just pray that God allows me to see more years and to keep me and everyone safe, even my haters.

~~~~~

MP: Describe yourself in one word.

P: Proper

~~~~~

MP: If you are speaking to youth that have interest in pursuing the same goals as you, what positive words would you share with them as motivation?

P: Dreams are always an alternate universe and for them to search and achieve it.  Never let other people dictate your worth because it always depreciates your actual worth.  Also follow your heart it will guide you like a gps.  I would also tell them that you need to really be about your business and not let others hamper the way you think, there are many people who will try and tell you what to do.  


~~~~~ 

MP: Its been said that many people have compared you as a young conscience 50 Cent. What are your thoughts about that?

P: I'm really honored because its crazy when i first came here to the US i didn't know  Rakim, Ghostface, Nas and all the old school generals who paved the way for the new wave artists.  I begun listening to 50 cent and Jay z in fact those artists became my favorite.  50's business mentality is amazing.  The man really built a crazy brand with his G-unit affiliates.  Jay has really branded himself with the RocNation brand too.  Man its crazy because my father was a business man too. My mother would tell me stories about everyone calling him Mr. Bediako when he came around just because he was always smooth.  I guess i am just honored and hopefully i can really make the best out of this.

~~~~~ 

MP: Explain your affiliation with Kosent Music and status being Capo?

P: Kosent Music Group is crazy man. There are 2 other artists Junior and CB and everyone is honestly their own Capo in a sense, think of a young G-unit.  You watch all the affiliates on G-unit everyone is their own boss but ultimately if questions really need to be answered Curtis is the man.  We all talk and make the best of decisions for the brand. Many minds together is better than one.  In fact Junior just released his first project Backpack Journey on Itunes and so far people have responded very well.

~~~~~

MP: From the few of what now could be many record labels that have been contacting you, which one do you wish to be signed with?

P: There are a few that we have our eyes on but at the same time we will make them find us.  The label that actually gets Kosent Music Group brand underneath them will really benefit but at the same time we wont cry out to them just to get signed.  We have reached a day in time where technology has made artists their own labels.  The Itunes and Amazon and other distributors like that on its own are really doing well for us.  For what its worth we will know the right label when we meet with them.

~~~~~

MP: What are your thoughts of the rap game today?

P: Its up and down too many phony acts.  There are the few artists that actually have something to say and really create good music.  For the most part you hear people emulating others because people are scared to push boundaries, people are scared to be the leaders and introduce new things.  They only do whats already been done.

~~~~~

MP: What do you think Proper can offer to the rap game?

P:  Only time will tell and i think after people hear Flight 101 which is my first cd in a trilogy set people will see where i am trying to take this.  Though i am aware many people will try and formulate their own ideas about me just because they might hear one little thing they might not understand.  I am ready.

~~~~~ 

MP: In your own words, shoutout The PromoSquad.


P: Shoutout to The PromoSquad big time for this interview, i actually met an affiliate, Mister Promo, at one of my shows that i did for Dj Buck of Hot 93.7.  Quickly approached me and we talked for a while, big shout out to them.
- Proper

You can also find me on twitter @OfficialProper
and view my videos at 
Kosent Music

~~~~~

MP: And that concludes our interview.
Thank you for reading. Hope you enjoy the music and videos of Proper.

~~~~~

Look out for the new mixtape Flight 101. Hear a sample below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *